Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Book Review - Something Worth Doing by Jane Kirkpatrick

 


Something Worth Doing, by Jane Kirkpatrick, tells the fictionalized story of real-life suffragist Abigail (Jenny) Scott Duniway.  I really wanted to like this book, but I did not like the main character.  I kept waiting for her character to develop a bit more and care about the people right in front of her, but she only seemed capable of caring about her cause and women she didn't know, to the point of showing nearly constant disdain for her husband, children, and men in general.  Her husband, Ben, was a much more interesting and sympathetic character.  The book is well-researched, with historical details throughout.  I think readers can learn quite a bit about the suffrage movement from reading it, but for me, it was not an enjoyable read because of the main character. I have read and enjoyed other books by this author, but I will not be recommending this one.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher, Revell, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment