Friday, July 28, 2023

Book Review - The All-American by Susie Finkbeiner

 

This story is set in early 1950s Michigan, and the author does a great job of immersing the reader in that setting.  The story is told alternately by two sisters, 16-year-old baseball player Bertha and 11-year-old reader Flossie.  Both voices are distinct, and the characters have depth and growth during the novel.  The story touches on two elements that I've rarely read in novels: the Red scare and girls' baseball.  This novel is perhaps a bit slow, but I like family stories, and this one was a really good family story.  I really enjoyed Uncle Matthew, too.  I do wish the epilogue had referenced both sisters, instead of only one, and the ending was a bit abrupt, but it was still a good read.

I received a copy from the publisher, Revell, for an honest review, but all opinions are my own.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment