Friday, July 28, 2023

Cemetery Tour

I mentioned that Nathaniel and I toured two cemeteries in Indy.  The first was an old Catholic cemetery, which I enjoyed very much.  I found a new first name, Eusephina.  (I love collecting names.)

The second was considerably bigger and had much more famous graves, including President Benjamin Harrison.  I got out of the car at the top of the hill for James Whitcomb Riley's grave.  This was the view from there:

When I was a kid, Grandmommy used to recite his poem "Little Orphant Annie" to me.  I loved it, and she wrote it down for me.  I memorized it, so I was thrilled to see that the statue on the monument for Riley has a child reading a book, open to the lines, "An' the gobble-ens'll git you ef you don't watch out!"
It's hard to see the words in the picture, but they were clear in person!  Nathaniel, of course, had to listen to me recite the whole poem.  This lovely marker was nearby, too:

And so, of course we left some coins.

The cemetery looked very much like the Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville.  The entrances are very similar, and I would guess that they were either designed by the same people or one inspired the other.  Unlike Louisville's cemetery, there were no ponds or ducks, though.  Instead, there were some really mangy looking deer:

Nathaniel liked this castle grave.  It's a recent one.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment