Wednesday, January 10, 2024

LST 325

 


I was able to take Elijah, Malachi, and Lydia to the LST while we were in Evansville.


I had taken Elijah and Malachi 11 years ago and have long wanted to go back, so I finally took the opportunity.  LST stands for Landing Ship Tank, and it was a crucial vessel in WWII.  The shipyard in Evansville produced more LSTs than any other shipyard during WWII.  







Evansville was a hub of war production, producing LSTs, Thunderbolt planes, ammo, and more.  On a personal note, on my father's side, my great-grandfather was the head of the electricians on the LSTs.  My grandfather also worked at the shipyard until he was drafted.  On my mother's side, my great-grandmother worked at the airport where they tested the planes and then had to make repairs onsite.  I don't know if she was a riveter, but she would have been called a "Rosie" regardless!




It was a good tour.  I'll have to get to the new WWII museum some other time, as it was closed when we were there.  





No comments:

Post a Comment