Wednesday, June 12, 2019

All Manner of Things by Susie Finkbeiner

All Manner of Things  “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.” 
― Julian of Norwich

I loved this book.  Although it is long, it never dragged.  This is a story of family and relationships and how we deal with hard things.  The main character, Annie, is a great lens for viewing the story of her family, which includes her estranged father, her strong mother, her vivacious older brother, both of her grandmothers, and her little brother.  Set in Michigan during the Vietnam War, this story touches on the race riots in Michigan, the war itself, and complicated family relationships.  There are many charming period details, which was nice for me, especially since this is not an era I am very familiar with.  The author weaves letters in between the narration, and I liked the format very much.  The characters were believable, varied, and well-drawn.  I highly recommend this book.

I received this book from the publisher, Revell, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment