Thursday, July 29, 2021

Book Review - The Nature of Small Birds by Susie Finkbeiner

 

Susie Finkbeiner's book, The Nature of Small Birds, first caught my attention because it deals with an adoptive family, and I am an adoptive mama.  It is told in three voices: dad Bruce, mom Linda, and big sister Sonny, and there are three different time frames woven into the story, so it switches between 1975, 1988, and 2013.  I did feel that all three voices were distinct and realistic.  I liked Bruce's parts best overall, although my favorite scene was when Chris met Minh, as told by Linda.  It is a good story, but more a bunch of memories woven together.  Many of the characters were well-drawn, although the youngest daughter was on the periphery enough to seem unnecessary.  It did feel like pieces were missing, or only hinted at.  Overall, I enjoyed it.  I just wanted more.   

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Revell, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment