Thursday, April 6, 2023

Meet Pistachio

 

So we now have a squirrel.  This little guy was found in our backyard by Emry, Gyunay, and two neighbor friends.  I didn't find out about it until they had been carrying it around for at least an hour.  After I made them put it back, in hopes that the mama would find it, it didn't get reunited with the mama.  

Eventually, we decided to try to care for it.  When I walked across the backyard, it ran onto my shoe and up my leg.  It jumped into Lydia's arms.  

So we are pretty sure it needs some help, and it definitely wants to be around us!

We've been researching squirrels, and now guess that he's around 10 weeks old, so almost but not quite old enough to be on his own.  We set him up with food, water, some milk replacement, and a nice dry shelter on the back deck, where he can come and go as he pleases.  Every time I go on the deck, he runs to me.  Anyone who sits on the deck will end up with a squirrel in his lap!  
Overall, it seems healthy and pretty happy.  We're hoping to keep it alive until it can fully fend for itself.  I think it's probably a boy.  Lydia named it pistachio, and I think that's really cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment