Friday, December 1, 2023

Book Review - The Warsaw Sisters by Amanda Barratt

 


I'm no novice to WWII fiction, or non-fiction for that matter.  I started reading Holocaust accounts when I was about 12 and never stopped, so I can confidently say that the author did her research on this story.  I had to take this story slowly, as it is emotionally draining and very true to the historic period it describes.  The author doesn't shy from the horror of what happened to the Polish people during the war, and she depicts the Jews' plight as well as the Christian "average citizen".  I also love that she included real people and events that I recognized, though I won't spoil.  Read the author's note at the end!  It took me a while at first to sort out the sisters' personalities, and the jumps in time took a bit to get used to.  For these reasons, I give it 4.5 stars.  Overall, though, I enjoyed the development of the characters.  I liked the inclusion of many secondary characters, even ones that were only depicted briefly, because they gave a depth and realism to the story.  

I recommend this book.  It is hard in many places, but we need to hear these types of stories.  This would make an excellent book group pick for deep discussion.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment