Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Book Review - Until Our Time Comes by Nicole M. Miller




 I read a lot of historical fiction, and a lot of nonfiction history, too, so I was intrigued by this debut novel Until Our Time Comes, which is set in Poland during WWII.  If you know anything about Poland during WWII, you know that it was a very, very bad place to be.  This novel does not deny that, but it does not dwell in graphic depictions.  As for the characters, it was easy to like Bret, the British agent.  His character was that of the protector and hero, and he tries to live up to that throughout the book.  Adia is a bit more complex.  She does seem to care more about the horses than the people several times, although her care for others is displayed throughout the book, particularly in her concern for children.  The story is well-written, and it is a strong debut novel.  The Polish people and Poland itself take a backseat to the horses in this story, and animal lovers will likely appreciate it.  I appreciated the secondary characters very much, especially Ewan and Werner.  Complicated relationships were common in WWII, and I think the author did a good job portraying some of those.  As for the faith element, it is barely present, but it is a clean book.  I'd recommend this for readers who enjoy historical fiction.  This is a strong debut, and I would read author Nicole M. Miller's future works.

I received an advance copy from the publisher, Revell, but all opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment