Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mexican food and my kids

I love Mexican food.  I'm crazy about Mexico in general, and lots of other Latin American countries' food, too.  Anyway, I've been loving the fact that tomatoes, cilantro, and red onion from my garden have been put to good use: salsa.  My mother-in-law makes fresh salsas a lot, even in the winter when she uses canned tomatoes but adds the cilantro fresh (which really makes it wonderful).  This one pictured includes tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, garlic, and just a tiny bit of left-over bell pepper.  Yum.  I ate it all for a snack a minute ago and then remembered that I'm making fajitas for dinner.  No problem, I can make more.  (And this time, I may include fresh sweet corn...)

The boys have been playing really well together lately.  Of course, they do still have their fights, but they do seem to enjoy each other's company a lot lately.



Lydia loves shoes.  She loves to bring shoes to me to show that she wants to go outside, but she also loves to just wear them.  Here she is trying on the "ruby red slippers" her daddy bought her at a garage sale.  She convinced her aunt to help her try on every pair of shoes she could find!

3 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering just looking at it! That looks delicious. I make pico sometimes. I love it. :) Looks yumm-o!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Looks great. I've been making a salsa that Jennifer K. gave me. I have to use all canned ingredients since we don't have our own garden =( but it's still yummy.

    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can black beans (drained)
    1 can corn (drained)
    1 chopped onion (I used half of one-depends on size and how much you like onion lol)
    1 chopped green pepper
    3/4 bottle Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing

    This also tastes better the day after it's made, but I couldn't help but to make a huge bowl of it right after I stirred everything together. =)

    The boys looked peaceful playing with their toys, and Lydia is adorable with the shoes. Kelsey is a shoe lover as well, so they have a lot in common. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops...forgot the can of Rotel (cilantro and lime)

    yummmmy!

    ReplyDelete