Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Current Projects

The seeds in the playroom are starting to sprout.  It makes me happy to see all of the little bits of green!
These onions are getting off to a great start, too.

Gyunay generally plays in the sunroom while I putter with the plants.  Sometimes he helps me.

The other thing I've been up to lately is rendering large amounts of pork fat.  (And by rendering, I mean putting a large chunk of pork fat in the crock pot and letting it slowly cook until most of it is liquid.)  I always ask for the pork fat when we get a pig, and this time, I was given tons of it!  I generally keep a jar of lard in the fridge for cooking, but this was way too much for us to actually eat.  So, I've been making candles:

The one on the left is cooled and finished (and it's a bit low since we've used it).  The one on the right will cool to the creamy white, but it is right now smoking hot.  Basically, I pour pork fat (lard) into a pint jar and put a wick in it.  These candles burn bright and clean and last for hours.  They were very helpful when the power was out a few weeks ago.  I was also thrilled that they don't actually make the house smell like bacon; there's really no discernible smell from burning them.   This week, I have made 13 of these candles, most of which are currently in storage for the zombie apocalypse or whatever.  ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment