Saturday, January 5, 2019

December Harvest Totals

I just realized that I never posted the December harvest totals, not that there's much to report.  Maybe one day I'll really get the winter garden thing going.

Arugula - 1 c
Carrots - 1
Eggs - 149
Lettuce (leaf) 1.5c

Today has been a really nice day weather-wise.  If the ground wasn't so saturated, it would be really nice.  I cleaned out the chicken coop and deposited some manure on the new area of hugelkultur I am building up.  I plan on making my current hugelkultur one side of a U-shaped garden area.  I've been putting down cardboard (there are plenty of Amazon boxes from Christmas laying around), then some rotting logs, sticks, leaves, chicken manure, egg shells, etc.  In a couple of months, I will get dirt to cover it all and then start planting.  I'm planning on getting the most out of the little sunlight we get in our yard, and this seems to be the best area for that.  Right now it looks pretty bad, as it pretty much looks like a pile of rubbish in the front yard.  Luckily, our house sits way back from the road, and the shed hides the sight from the road, so the neighbors shouldn't have to see it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment