Friday, November 22, 2019

Miscalculations

As the chicks have been getting bigger, I have been noticing a lot of signs that three of the four are most likely cockerels instead of pullets.  

They have shiny, pretty feathers, and their tail feathers are just starting to not only have some green feathers, but are starting to drop over instead of stand upright.  I'm not sure about one of them, but I am pretty sure that two are cockerels.  None have started crowing yet, but I think it's pretty safe to say that they aren't all going to be hens, as we had previously thought.  I mentioned it to Lydia, and she admitted that she had noticed, too.  So maybe we'll have some chicken dinners in a few weeks.  

Also, getting dirt delivered to cover my hugelkulturish berm in the front yard has been harder than expected, so nothing can be planted there yet.  I had hoped to have bulbs in the ground by now, but no such luck.  

On the plus side, Nathaniel has been busily chopping up the firewood, and we have had nice, cozy fires to warm the house.  I've been baking up some pumpkins for pies and other things, and school has been going pretty smoothly lately.  Lydia and I are both really enjoying her new art/art history program, Ever Ancient, Ever New, and Gyunay and I have been doing the art projects alongside her.  It's a nice break from math and language.  We've also been doing mini science units with Mystery Science online, to supplement Nathaniel's science lessons.  And I've always got some history project going for them.  Right now, Lydia is on ancient history, and Gyunay is learning some basic American history, in addition to our monthly classes at the history center.


No comments:

Post a Comment