Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Book Review - The Maid of Ballymacool by Jennifer Deibel

 

I recently finished The Maid of Ballymacool by Jennifer Deibel.  Set in 1930s rural Ireland, the story has a fairytale essence to it.  I enjoyed the book very much.  The setting was alive, and although I'm not very familiar with Ireland, I enjoyed "visiting" in the author's prose.  The main character, Brianna, was well-drawn and pleasing.  I also liked the male lead, but I felt he wasn't as well-defined.  I wanted to know him better, especially how he got his views on the worth of everyone around him, in opposition to most people of his class.  The story has an obvious villain and a few interesting secondary characters, but Brianna's world is the focal point.  The faith element throughout stresses the worth of all people, and was well-woven into the story.


I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Revell, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment