Monday, October 10, 2011

Pumpkin Field Trip, a Birthday, and a Loss

Whew, it was a busy weekend around here!  But first, I wanted to share the pictures of Lydia and I going on Malachi's class field trip to the farm to pick pumpkins:


The kids all loved the "hay pit".
Then, my family came for the weekend.  We invited Malachi's class to a video game birthday party at a local place, but we were surprised just a few hours before that the place had had a fire and could not accomodate us!  Plan B went into full effect, with my parents and sister helping clean my house while Nathaniel worked out the details on the phone.  So the kids came here, and we started with outside play:
The chickens were a big hit with everyone:
And then the "Gamebulance" arrived, the mobile video game unit in an old ambulance:

It worked out fine, especially since the chickens were such a hit that two little girls spent the whole time chasing them instead of waiting for a turn to play games, so the wait time was less.  All in all, everyone had fun, and Malachi and Elijah dubbed it the best party ever.  So a last minute panic worked out wonderfully!
Then Sunday morning, the boys sang in church choir and Elijah read the scripture (Ezekiel 37:26-28).  After our family left, we relaxed and spent some time outside.  It wasn't until I went to put up the chickens that I knew something was wrong.  Penguin always runs to meet me in the yard, and she didn't.  She is gone.  We looked everywhere for her, but I knew we wouldn't find her alive.  Luckily, we didn't find her body, either.  But we think she got out of the yard and was eaten by something.  The kids are upset.  This was just before bedtime, so it was sad to end such a great weekend on a down note. 

No comments:

Post a Comment