Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Homemade Cream of Celery Soup

Missy, this is for you.  :)

I've been making cream of mushroom for a while, but I never tried cream of celery.  I played around today, and came up with a recipe for a good cream of celery.  It's lighter and uses little salt.  It makes about 3 cups.
You need:
1 bunch of celery, diced (even the leafy bits)
4T olive oil, divided
1 1/2 c chicken stock (or veggie stock, if you wanna go vegetarian)
about 3/4 c milk (I used whole milk)
1/2 tsp celery salt
generous sprinkle of pepper (1/2 tsp?)
1/4 c white whole wheat flour

In a skillet, saute celery in 2 T oil for a few minutes.  It will still be fairly crisp, but somewhat cooked.  Add rest of oil and flour and spices, making a roux.  Add chicken stock and scrape bits off the bottom of the pan.  Add milk.  Turn off heat.  Use an immersible blender to puree.  (Mine still has some small pieces of celery; it's not totally pureed.)  That's it!  Here's a picture, but keep in mind that cream of celery has never looked too appetizing:
I used mine in some chicken tetrazini.  Yum.  I don't know if it will freeze well or not. 

1 comment:

  1. I have made cream of celery soup a few times...I will have to compare my recipe to yours!! I will have to try using an immersible blender next time, cause I didn't like the hunks so much...thanks for posting this! And tetrazini sounds so good right now.

    ReplyDelete