Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pumpkins and Squash

It's October now, so I thought I'd give a pumpkin and butternut squash update.  I got two tiny butternut squash from my plant:


And my pumpkins are now ripe, too.  The one on the left is a pie pumpkin, and the one on the right is a Cinderella pumpkin.


The Cinderella pumpkin is small.  Usually they are quite a bit bigger than pie pumpkins.  The pie pumpkin is average size for its type, though.  

So now my pumpkin plants are done.  In the garden I still have tomatoes, but they are ripening very slowly, so we only get one or two every few days now.  Slugs are still an issue.  We do still have peppers, and those have done quite well.  The fall cucumber plants have produced well.  Lydia accidently ripped up one of the plants while she was picking one, but we still have a couple of plants with small cucumbers growing.  The peas look great.  We ate a handful last week, and I could get some more any time.  Malachi particularly loves pea pods.  The broccoli looks ok.  Two plants have started forming tiny heads.  I still have some cilantro, parsley, basil, mint, oregano, sage, and lemon balm growing.  

I'm already thinking about next year's garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment