Monday, April 14, 2014

Book Review - For Such a Time by Kate Breslin

Cover Art

Today, I was home from work due to sickness, and it was a good thing because I could not put this book down!  I read For Such a Time by Kate Breslin.  It's the story of Hadassah, a young Jewish woman who finds herself saved from a death squad to become the Terezin camp commander's secretary.  There she is a position that may allow her to effect her people's fate, but every decision is fraught with danger and helping other Jews could endanger her own life.  I have long read many books, both fiction and nonfiction, about the Holocaust and World War II, and this is among the best.  I was surprised when I read that this is the author's first novel; the writing is excellent.  The characters are not only believeable but also have depth.  The conditions in the camps are described with heartbreaking accuracy.  The entire book is inspired by the book of Esther, and although I wondered how that would work in a Holocaust story, it really does.  I highly recommend this book.

I received this book from Bethany House Publishing in exchange for my review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment