Thursday, November 19, 2015

Book Review - The Shock of Night by Patrick W. Carr


I finished The Shock of Night, by Patrick W. Carr last night.  It is set in a medieval fantasy world, and at first, it took me a while to get some of the terms and characters straight.  Once I was into the book a bit, I adjusted, but it did take a little work to settle into Carr's world.  The main character, Willet Dura, is a compassionate man with a sense of humor, and I really enjoyed this character.  The setting held a great deal of depth, and many characters were intriguing.  I like Carr's style of writing, but I did feel that the book could have been edited a bit shorter, as some sections carried on more than necessary.  This book is the first in the Darkwater Saga, so I'm assuming that it will probably be a trilogy - because everything seems to need to be a trilogy for publishers these days - and although it is a stand-alone novel, it does not have a final conclusion, so there is plenty left for the next books.  It did have a climax and an ending, though, so I did feel a sense of closure to the book. There was a prequel novella that is an ebook, and I think it would help to get the reader oriented in The Shock of Night faster, but I didn't read the novella so I can't say for sure.  I honestly refuse to read ebooks, or I would have enjoyed reading a prequel.  I really did enjoy this book, and I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Willet does next in the second book.

I received this book from publisher Bethany House for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment