Sunday, March 13, 2016

Book Review - Dressed for Death by Julianna Deering



Dressed for Death by Julianna Deering is a period mystery with plenty of twists and turns.  I had a little trouble getting into it in the beginning.  I was a bit confused, because the setting is the 1930s, but the characters were participating in a Regency-era week-long party, so they were acting like it was the early 1800s.  Fans of Jane Austen will love this; I have never actually read any of Jane Austen's work, so the many comments on her novels were mostly lost on me.  Also, this is part of a series of mysteries, but I have not read the previous ones, so it perhaps took me a bit longer to place all of the characters.

This book is a traditional Agatha-Christie style mystery.  All of the characters (suspects) are kept in the same place due to the special week-long party, and the leading man, Drew, has some amateur experience solving crimes, so he naturally starts investigating once a young woman turns up dead.  There were many interesting characters.  I felt that I didn't really get to "know" Drew's wife Madeline very well, but she wasn't really one of the main characters in this story.  There were plenty of twists along the way, and perhaps more clever readers could solve the mystery before the end, but I did not.  It was a satisfying read.

I received this book from the publisher, Bethany House, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment