Friday, January 6, 2017

Seed Dreams

I've been spending a lot of time looking through gardening catalogs and dreaming of seeds.  Sounds strange, I know, but seeing the Baker Creek Heirloom Seed catalog appear in the mail makes me almost giddy.  I circle and underline, and make lists.  Then I go over the seeds I already have, and make lists of what I'd like to grow.  These "wish lists" always grow, and I end up buying a few new things that I hadn't considered growing previously.  This year, I'm going to try some pak choy, for example.
Random cute photo of my kids that has nothing to do with gardening

The kids are actually getting excited about their little 4 square plots each.  They've each picked out their crops:
Elijah - Dragon's Egg cucumbers, carrots, green cabbage, and lima beans
Malachi - Golden Crescent beans, green onions, green cabbage, and carrots
Lydia - cantaloupe, grey zucchini, marigolds, and sunberries
Gyunay - Golden Crescent beans, broccoli, sunberries, and peas

I'm really thrilled with their choices, and I hope they will be inspired to eat more veggies.  The first choice in each child's list will be on a trellis, so those can grow vertically.  They are eager to build the square foot garden, so we will be getting started on the actual building soon.  Gyunay was holding out his hand for his seeds - he wanted to get planting right away!  Of course, there is three inches of snow on the ground right now, so the only things we are actively growing right now are mostly carrots and radishes in the playroom.  I do have a tray of lettuce, too, and a few scraggly peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment