Monday, October 2, 2017

September Harvest Totals

September is always a big month for gardeners, and for good reason.  It's also the end of summer gardening here, and I'm moving into planting for fall/winter now.  I've still got some crops producing, and I haven't dug up most of the orange sweet potatoes yet. 

Arugula - 1 c
Beans, calypso - 2/3c dried beans
Beans, golden crescent - 1 1/2 c fresh beans
Cabbage, green - 1
Eggs- 168
Herbs - basil, mint, oregano, dill, parsley, thyme, cilantro
Onions, candy - 8
Onions, green - 4
Peppers, Bulgarian - 2
Potatoes - 1/2 lb
Swiss Chard - 1 bunch
Squash, butternut - 4
Sweet Potatoes, orange- 1 lb
Sweet Potatoes, purple - 14.5 lbs
Tomatillos- 1 1/2 lbs
Tomatoes, Black Vernissage - 13
Tomatoes, Golden Jubilee - 14
Tomatoes, St. Pierre - 40
Tomatoes, Woodle Orange - 4
Watermelon, sugar baby - 2 small

also, cherry tomatoes, which I never count/weigh, a bit of kale, and several cups of sunberries

The Cinderella Pumpkins were beautiful, but the vines died before they were fully ripe, so I didn't get to enjoy harvesting those.  They were relegated to the chicken yard. 

Regular potatoes were mostly a failure this year.  Back to the drawing board on growing those.  Also a failure for the second year in a row: eggplant.  Next year, I'm not going to bother with trying to grow them.  I can buy organic ones pretty cheaply at our farmer's market.  And I finally got the sunberries to produce well, but now the kids really aren't eating them, so I don't know if I'll bother with those, either. 

I did just buy some onion sets for fall, and my seedlings that I planted a couple of weeks ago indoors look great.  Nathaniel is going to get my fall/winter bed ready soon, and then I'll plant them out.  Also on the agenda for October is planting next year's garlic crop.  And I took some of my birthday money and ordered a Russet Apple Tree for planting next spring!  I'm pretty excited about that one, even though it will take a couple of years to get apples.







No comments:

Post a Comment