Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Book Review - The Sound of Rain by Sarah Loudin Thomas

  The Sound of Rain by Sarah Loudin Thomas is set in the 1950s, which I enjoyed, since that isn't a time frame often chosen by historical fiction writers.  I was interested in the Appalachian aspect, and I did appreciate that the author portrayed the mountain people with a sense of respect and dignity, but the mountains are only a small portion of the story.  Most of it is set in South Carolina.  The story moves rather slowly, and introduces many minor stories within the main story.  I actually enjoyed some of the minor stories better.  I did like the main character, Judd, and I thought that his character seemed realistic.  I felt that Larkin was less developed as a character, though, and her family's issues should have felt more interesting than they did.  Overall, I liked this book but didn't feel compelled to finish it in any hurry.  The author is good at painting the scenery and other descriptive writing, but the plot could have used a bit more attention.

I received this book from the publisher, Bethany House, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment