Thursday, May 17, 2018

Book Review - The Wounded Shadow by Patrick W. Carr


Patrick Carr's Darkwater Saga ends with this third book, The Wounded Shadow.  This trilogy needs to be read in order for the reader to understand the more complex details of the plot and characters, but all three books are so good, so that is no problem.  I have been waiting for this book to come out since I finished the last one, and I was not disappointed.  I stayed up entirely too late to finish this book.  I love the character development, and not just in the main characters, but so many of the characters showed growth and subtle change throughout the story.  The fantasy world was a wonderful setting for the story, and the religious aspect was well-done, with characters doubting, growing, and questioning throughout.  There is plenty of action.  I am going to have to check out some other books by this author, because this trilogy was excellent.  I feel that he brought the story to a close in a satisfying way (although he could go on to tell more tales with some of the characters, if he chose to revisit either the Northern or the Southern continents in future novels).  The author's treatment of the characters reminds me of Aleksandr Solzhenitsy's famous words, "But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being."   I highly recommend this novel.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher, Bethany House, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment