Friday, May 4, 2018

Chicks and Things

The chicks are 3 weeks old now, and they can go without a heat lamp.  We did have to throw together a bigger pen, though.




I have several tulips, and all of them are beautiful, but this is my favorite:

Unfortunately, this is the only one for this year.  Usually there are 5 or 6, and there would have been this year, but a deer ate all of the buds except for this one.  I've been very annoyed at the deer lately.

Also blooming now are the bluebells, and you can see the magnolia tree above.  And it just turned bright green around here, with all of the trees finally putting on leaves, and the greenery just going wild.  It's really beautiful.  
I've also been busy putting my plants into the gardens.  I've transplanted many of the seedlings I grew in the playroom, but not all of them are quite big enough yet.  The lingering cold this year really did slow down the gardening starts, but things are perking up now.  I also planted one sweet corn bed of 28 plants.  I'll plant about that many more in another 2 weeks or so, to stagger the crop a bit.  I may even try for some blue corn or something fun; but that's still undecided.  I do have the hugelkultur bed up and going with cantaloupes, sunflowers, cucumbers, and I've seeded for arrugula, pak choy, and probably something else that I've forgotten.  Plus, I planted onions all around the base, both for stability and rabbit repulsion, and also just because I don't think one can have too many onions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment