Tuesday, November 20, 2018

4th Grade Book List

Someone asked me to write up which books I'm having Lydia read this year, so I thought I'd post it.  These are just the ones that she's required to read each month - in reality she reads many, many more.  For example, last week she finished Pippi Longstocking, a book about a pioneer girl, and Farmer Boy during her free time, as well as several nonfiction books on animals and at least one American Girl book.  She has just recently turned into a voracious reader, and I am so glad!  It was only a year ago that I struggled to convince her to read a chapter book - any chapter book.

Anyway, here is the book list, with both the books I read aloud to her and the ones she reads on her own:
August:
 Read-aloud: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
 Independent: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
September:
 Read-aloud: The Mitchells: Five for Victory by Hilda van Stockum
 Independent: Little House in the Big Woods and Little House on the Praire by Laura Ingalls Wilder
October:
 Read-aloud: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
 Independent: Willy Finds Victory by Joan Stromberg
November:
 Read-aloud: Canadian Summer by Hilda von Stockum
 Independent: Mr. Mysterious and Company by Sid Fleischman
December:
 Read-aloud: Mary Emma and Company by Ralph Moody
 Independent: The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynn Reid Banks
January:
 Read-aloud: Will Wilder: The Relic of Perilous Falls by Raymond Arroyo
 Independent: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor
February:
 Read-aloud: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
 Independent: The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
March:
 Read-aloud: Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff and My Name is Maria Isabel by Alma Flor Ada
 Independent: Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
April:
 Read-aloud: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
 Independent: Bread and Roses, Too by Katherine Paterson
May:
 Read-aloud: Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank and Ernestine Gilbreth
 Independent: The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatly Snyder

I have read most of these books, but not all of them.  I've never actually read The Hobbit, for instance, so that is one we'll discover together.  (Nathaniel, Elijah, and Malachi have all read it and loved it, but I have neither read it nor seen the movie.)  Some of these books I haven't read since I was a child, and it is often interesting to re-read books as an adult.  I've already got more books in mind for the summer or next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment