Thursday, October 29, 2020

Composting and Tomato Haul

 I don't think I mentioned that I got a new composter.  I filled up one side right away, and it is sitting on my deck:

Then I found out that our conservation district was giving away free compost bins to people who watched the online training, so I got one of those, too:

Now it is about half full, and I will finish filling it this weekend, most likely.  I also cleared out the compost from my worm bin and spread it on the prepared garlic bed.  I've planted only a little garlic so far, but I plan to plant more ASAP.

Then, Lydia and I visited June.  It is probably going to freeze tomorrow, so yesterday, Lydia and I picked basically all of June's tomatoes.

Hundreds of tomatoes!

I am hoping to get some of the green ones to ripen, but some I will use green.  I've got a green tomato salsa recipe I'm planning on trying tomorrow.  Today, I canned one batch of red salsa and one of tomatillo salsa (because I also hauled 4 pounds of tomatillos from our garden).  I may get in another batch later today, but we'll see.  I'm excited to have such bounty.  This is the first summer in years that I haven't been able to can any of my own tomatoes due to a pathetic harvest.  



No comments:

Post a Comment