Thursday, August 13, 2026

Cantaloupe!!!

I have long loved cantaloupe. Every August I can remember involves me eating copious amounts of it. I am a bit of a cantaloupe snob. I require really good cantaloupe. You won't see me eating it at the buffet, or out of season, or - God forbid!- mixed with other fruit. The best cantaloupe has always been Posey County cantaloupe (which may be grown in Posey or Gibson County, Indiana), although the Barkley Lake area also produces really good cantaloupe, as does most of the area along the Ohio between Indiana and Kentucky. However, I have not had the most luck growing any, between the lack of space and the interference of the animals, who also enjoy perfect cantaloupe.  But this summer - o glorious! - I have a cantaloupe patch, and it is producing abundantly.

Most of the cantaloupes are between 3 and 4 lbs, and they have all been good, but today, I had a perfect one. It's nearly gone already, because I can't resist perfect cantaloupe, but there are two more waiting to be cut up on the counter, and the garden has lots of green ones growing, so whatever else may grow or not, this has been my greatest gardening accomplishment ever!
Now, to eat more cantaloupe....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment