Friday, May 6, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away...Garden Update

It was so nice to have a sunny day yesterday.  My plants desperately need to dry out.  The tomatoes are looking sad, except for the cherry ones, which look fantastic.  Go figure.  The broccoli and brussel sprouts look healthy but haven't grown in a week or so.  The cucumber and zucchini may be a loss at this point, but we have more seed, so it's not a disaster.  One bright spot:
Cilantro!  I have lots of cilantro, and so I bought some tomatillos and made tomatillo salsa.  So yummy!  Malachi and I like that green salsa. 
I am trying my hand at making my own chorizo, too.  I got a recipe off the girlichef blog and it is now sitting in the fridge, soaking up the flavors before I fry it up tonight with scrambled eggs.  I ground up a pork butt from the pig we bought, and mixed the spice paste and herbs into it.  I hope it turns out good.  I sent Nathaniel to a Mexican grocery in Louisville yesterday to get the dried chiles I needed.  I usually have anchos on hand, but the recipe called for pasillas and chiles de arbol, so he had to go exploring.  Thanks honey!

Nathaniel and the boys also made the nesting boxes for the chickens last night. He'll install them in the coop tonight.  I'll have to get a picture later.

No comments:

Post a Comment