Thursday, April 5, 2012

Roman Misc.

We did go into several churches besides St. Peter's.  They are all a bit overwhelming. 
Also, I was surprised to find out that the Pantheon is still a church.  I knew it was, a long time ago, but I was under the impression that it was mostly a tourist destination now.  Sections of the interior are roped off for prayer and masses.  (The sign said that during mass times, no photos, tour groups, etc, only people wanting to attend mass.)  This is the outside of the Pantheon, which hasn't changed all that much from ancient times:


And this is some of the inside.
Naturally, all of the pagan statues are gone from the Pantheon.  There are some Catholic statues (Mary, Jesus) and plenty of decoration.  Raphael is buried here, too.
Now, some other random pictures I took. 

This pyramid was built in the 1600s.

Nathaniel loved this quiet street in Ostia Antica, outside the historic area and in the current town.

at the Roman Forum
This was one of those take-the-picture-myself-and-hope-it-turns-out-ok-at-arms' length shots.  We were in a park.  I thought it turned out to be a really good picture of Nathaniel.

No comments:

Post a Comment