Saturday, November 9, 2013

Leaves and Clover


 Last year, we had a storm that uprooted this tree.  Although Nathaniel cut up the rest of the tree, the kids love this stump, which they call the cannon.  So today Elijah and I raked a huge pile of leaves in front of the cannon, and Malachi and Lydia had a blast jumping off it into the pile.


I also never mentioned that I planted a cover crop of clover in the small garden this year.  I didn't get it in until mid-October, and I thought it may be too late since it turned quite cold then, but it is coming up!


In the spring, we can till it under, and it will give nutrients to the soil for next year's garden.  At least, that's how it's supposed to work.  I've never actually planted a cover crop before, but I've been meaning to for the last couple of years.  I also plan on pulling some of it for the chickens, since they absolutely love clover.

No comments:

Post a Comment