Sunday, August 3, 2014

Book Review - With Every Breath by Elizabeth Camden



I received this book on Friday afternoon, and I had finished reading it by evening.  I couldn't put it down.  This historical novel is set in Washington D.C. in the late 1800s, and the main character, Kate, is a young working-class widow.  She gets a surprise notice from an old schoolmate of hers, Dr. Trevor Kendall, offering her an exciting yet challenging job in his tuberculosis ward.  I was enthralled by the detail of life in this time frame, and the author did an excellent job researching this book.  The characters were skillfully created.  Kate is fiery, stubborn, smart, and determined.  Trevor at first seems cold and detatched, but as Kate works with him, she discovers many surprises about his character.  Both of the characters show growth in a realistic way.  Their romance is well written, too, as is the suspense over who is trying to destroy Dr. Kendall's reputation.  There are several secondary characters that lend more depth to the book as well, including Kate's younger brother and several inhabitants of her parents' boarding house.  I highly recommend this book.

I received this book from the publisher, Bethany House, for the purpose of a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment