Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Book Review - Beyond All Dreams by Elizabeth Camden


I received my latest book from Bethany House Publishing last week, but I waited to start it until a day that I knew I'd have lots of time to read.  I'm glad that I did; I didn't want to put it down! I finished it the day I started it.

I discovered author Elizabeth Camden by her last excellent book, With Every Breath, and so I was eager to read this one. It did not disappoint! Camden's thorough research is a joy to me. I love the historical details, and the mystery involved was gripping.

This story is set in Washington D.C. in the late 1890s. The main characters, Anna and Luke, are well drawn, with faults and strengths.  Anna is a librarian in the map room at the library of Congress (you can guess that I loved that!), and Luke is a Congressman from Maine.  Both characters had difficult pasts and have had to deal with the repercussions of their childhoods into their adult lives.  Biblical forgiveness plays an important role in both of their stories.  The dialogue between them is a treat, as well. I love wit and intelligent conversation, and these two have plenty of that.

I highly recommend this book. I look forward to reading more by this author.

I was given a copy by the publisher for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment