Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Book Review - Shadow of the Storm by Connilyn Cossette


This book is the second in Cossette's Out from Egypt series.  I do recommend reading the first one prior to reading this one, but I think it could be enjoyed independently, it just may take a bit for the reader to find her footing without the background of the first book.  I liked the way the story was told from both Shira's and Dvorah's viewpoints.  Of course, Shira is the preferred character, and she was a fully-drawn persona with a traumatic past but joyful spirit.  I enjoyed her character very much.  I also enjoyed the wisdom gleaned from the midwife, Reva, and the way midwifery was woven into the story.  The author did a very good job of imagining what life could have been like for the people after fleeing Egypt but long before seeing the Promised Land.  The story was believable and had enough detail to get the reader fully immersed in the time period.  I was less excited about the romance aspect in this book (I won't give away any details), but I did like the way Shira's faith and ability to heal evolved.  I recommend this book to anyone interested in historical or Biblical fiction.  I'm looking forward to the third book next year.

I received this book from the publisher, Bethany House, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment