Sunday, November 27, 2016

Book Review - The Shattered Vigil by Patrick W. Carr


Last year, I read the first book in the Darkwater Saga by Patrick W. Carr, The Shock of Night.  (See that review here:
http://barefootkentuckymama.blogspot.com/2015/11/book-review-shock-of-night-by-patrick-w.html )
This novel, The Shattered Vigil, is the second in the trilogy.  I think readers should really read the first book before reading this second one, or they would quickly become confused.  There are a lot of characters to keep track of, and the action sweeps the reader into the story really quickly if the first book has already been read.  I enjoyed this book very much.  I think it is even better than the first, except that I felt the first book had a firmer ending than this one.  The story is mainly told in first person by the main character, Willet Dura, but there are also chapters in third person focused on other characters.  I didn't have any trouble switching between characters in this fashion.  I especially enjoyed learning a bit more about Bronwyn's character.  The book has plenty of action, and some of the questions from the first book are resolved, or expounded upon.  Of course, there is still a third book to come, so not everything is resolved yet, and I really can't wait to read the next novel.  I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy.

I received this book from the publisher, Bethany House, for the purpose of writing a review, but all  opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment