Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Garden Starts and Trees!

Last summer, I saved the pits from some of the white nectarines, peaches, and one plum that we ate.  I put them in damp dirt in ziploc bags and kept them in the refrigerator all winter.  Yesterday, I pulled them out:

As you can see, they have sprouted!  I planted 3 white nectarines, 3 peaches, and 1 plum in pots.  Now we wait to see if they all continue to grow.  I had success last year with the 2 white nectarines I started this way.  One is growing in the yard, and the other is about a foot tall in a pot on my front porch, waiting to be transplanted.  Obviously, I don't have room for all of these fruit trees, so I may be giving some away if they all grow.

I've also started several seed trays in the sunroom.  Many of them are sprouting.  I've been happily playing in the dirt for a couple of weeks this way.  I even tried to clear up some of the garden space outside, but it's been too wet to do much outside yet, and it is very early, so a hard frost (or several) are most likely still in our future.  I've been trying to tell that to my plum tree, but it has been getting buds.  Oh dear.  There probably won't be any plums again this year.  Crazy weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment