Saturday, May 1, 2010

Children's Picture Books

Have I mentioned that I absolutely LOVE children's books?  I've worked as a page in the library, a preschool teacher in a daycare, a high school teacher, and now I'm a mom, so I've had various experiences that have led me to explore juvenal literature.  Really, though, the main thing is that I just love books, for all ages.  I've always sought to engage my kids in reading, too.  Here are some great picture books for the toddler/preschool crowd:

Piggies by Don Wood.  I love Don Wood's illustrations.  He has so many books I love, including King Bidgood's in the Bathtub.  But I was mentioning Piggies, so about that one: this is pure childish fun. The illustrations are just fantastic.  Most libraries have this one, so check it out.  My one-year-old likes it, and my five and seven-year-olds still think it's a fun book.

Bed Hogs by Kelly DiPucchio and Howard Fine.  In keeping with the pigs are fun theme, this book is lots of fun to read.  Malachi in particular has always responded well to rhyming stories, and this one is a great read aloud.  The pictures are great, too.  We've checked this out at the library so many times!  One of these days, I'll have to buy it, for myself or someone else!

Eat! Cried Little Pig by Jonathon London  Yes, one more pig book.  This one is by the author of the Froggy books, but it is so much better!  It's another rhyming one that is funny.

A You're Adorable by Matha Alexander.  This board book has illustrations to go with the 1940s song.  I'm not sure if I sing it exactly right, since I've never actually heard the song, but it doesn't really matter.

Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton.  I love Sandra Boynton's books, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be this board book, Barnyard Dance.  But also check out her others!

Counting Ovejas by Sarah Weeks and David Diaz goes through colors in English and Spanish.  (ovejas are sheep in Spanish)

Where is the Green Sheep?  by Mem Fox.
Wag a Tail by Lois Ehlert 
Kitten's First Full Moon by Ken Henkes
Just a Minute: A Trickster Tale and Counting Book by Yuyi Morales

And I will mention two of my all-time favorites: The Dragon Takes a Wife by Walter Dean Meyers, and Herbert the Timid Dragon by Mercer Mayer, but both of these are out-of-print and hard to find.

I'm sure I will think of about 10 more I should suggest as soon as I log off, but that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment