Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Purple Milk

Malachi loves pink milk.  You know the kind, made with the store-bought high fructose corn syrup and fake flavoring.  I wanted to get away from that, but he's rebelling against plain white milk, so I decided to try a new concoction that I felt better about giving him for breakfast: purple milk.  He helped me make it, and he kept calling himself a "chef".  Here it is:
1 c water
3/4 c sugar
1 c blueberries
(Next time I make it, I plan to try 1/2 c honey instead of the sugar, but I'm telling you what I came up with today.)
Put everything into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 min.  Put in a food processor and puree.

I put a tablespoon into a glass of milk and let him stir it up. 
As you can see, it was a hit.  I plan on freezing tablespoon-sized servings for future use.  It should last a while.  If your kid minds the specks in the milk, you could strain it first, but we're not too concerned about that here!
Lydia and I also discovered that this tastes great mixed with plain yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment