Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fruit and School

I've been up to my eyeballs in fruit around here!  The kids helped me pick crabapples off of the tree in our front yard, and I made some crabapple butter with those.  Then Saturday, we went to the farm and picked 60 lbs of peaches!!  I'm still peeling and slicing those, but so far, I've canned honey-sweetened peach jam, peach blackberry jam, and peach butter.  I'd have made more of the honey peach, but I ran out of honey, so I'll have to get some more at the farmer's market Saturday. I've also made peach pudding and fruit salad, and I've been freezing peaches.  Yet there's still more, so today while the boys are at school, I will most likely be dealing with peaches.
We also picked some blackberries and raspberries.   Lydia was my most enthusiastic picker.  She only picked red raspberries, and then when we switched to blackberries, I told her, "Now we only pick the black ones, not the red ones."  Only black ones went into her bucket.  She never picked a red blackberry.  I couldn't believe how well she understood that.
Yes, the boys start school today.  I can't believe I have a second grader and a kindergartener already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment