Friday, August 13, 2010

Peasant Chicken

I mentioned before how much I love Mexican food.  When I was 18, I went to Mexico for 6 weeks, and one of the things I did was take a cooking class. At that time my Spanish really wasn't very good, and the teacher spoke no English and used metric measurements (liters, etc).  I took lots of notes and later consulted many dictionaries to translate the recipes she gave the class.  Now I can read the Spanish, but it is fun to see my notes from that time.  I've made many of the recipes over the years, and this is one I've made many, many times.  It is good served over rice or egg noodles.  It is NOT spicy, so don't expect a spicy dish. 
Pollo Campesino (Peasant Chicken)
6-8 chicken pieces (legs and/or thighs are what I usually use)
1 chopped zucchini or yellow squash
1 c corn
1 or 2 chopped peppers, either bell or poblano
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c tomato sauce
1 or 2 tsp oregano (I use Mexican oregano, but regular is fine too)
1/2 c sour cream

Brown the chicken in a skillet in olive oil.  Remove chicken.  Saute onion and garlic for about a minute, then add the rest of the vegetables, the tomato sauce, and oregano.  Salt to taste.  Mix well, then put the chicken back in.  Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.  (If you are using already cooked chicken, only 10 minutes will do.)  Remove from heat, and right before serving, add sour cream.  Serves 4.
Check out other bloggers' recipes at Fight Back Fridays http://www.foodrenegade.com/fight-back-friday-august-13th/


1 comment:

  1. mmmm...peasant food is my favorite type...so real, earthy, comforting! This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete