Tuesday, November 13, 2012

3 Roosters

We are certain that 3 of the 5 "chicks" are roosters.  The one above is Foghorn.  He's pretty noisy, but he looks really cool.  Below is the black rooster alongside the black and white little hen (Angel).  It's not a great picture, but the rooster is on the left.

 
The third rooster, Puff, is the one we are planning on keeping.  I don't have a good photo at the moment, but the hens all prefer him.  He seems pretty laid-back compared to Foghorn.  Nathaniel is afraid that Foghorn will turn aggressive later, and I think he's probably right.  Foghorn isn't well liked by the hens, either. 
 
No slaughtering date has been set.  There's no big hurry, since none of the roosters has caused a real problem yet.  Plus, we would like to make sure we end up with one rooster for at least a few months, so we can hatch again when Sol gets broody.  In order to ensure that at least one survives for a while, we're not in a big hurry to cull yet.
 
Also in chicken news, I saw a gorgeous hawk sweep across my driveway yesterday.  Although I enjoyed seeing it, I hope it doesn't stick around here.  It might notice the chicken buffet in my backyard, and who could blame it for trying one?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment