Monday, November 19, 2012

Illness and dead chickens

The last week didn't go so great around here, which is why I haven't posted in a while.  I was quite sick for most of last week, and didn't know for sure until Friday if we'd make it to my mom's Thanksgiving.   Luckily, we did, and that was so nice.  I'm almost back to normal, but still lacking in energy/endurance. 

Our chickens had an even tougher week.  Last Thursday, Elijah found Sol dead.  That is particularly catastrophic to everyone because she is the mama hen.  She hatches the chicks for us, and we were planning on her hatching a new batch in the spring.  Unfortunately, she was killed by something.  We weren't sure what, and were thinking maybe dog, until today.

I now am certain of what killed Sol, because it just killed Angel.  It was a little hawk.  I just buried the remains of Angel.  The hawk didn't even bother to fly off until I was just 4 feet away from it.  I guess it really likes chicken.  Now I'm going to have to tell the kids that we lost another one, and worse, I'm not sure how to protect the flock right now.  Sigh.

On a happier note, Elijah did draw the hedgehog:

No comments:

Post a Comment