Sunday, September 15, 2013

Canning

Yesterday we went to a nearby orchard and picked apples.  We hauled home 1 1/2 bushels of fresh apples, mainly Johnathon and some Russet.  While we were at the farm store, Nathaniel spotted their deal on canning tomatoes, so we got a half bushel of tomatoes, too.  And some peppers.  So I've been busy canning today.  So far, I've put up 13 half-pints of apple butter, 13 pints of Ball salsa, and 6 pints of crushed tomatoes.  I've still got a bushel of apples to deal with, and I'm going to make some tomato-basil sauce, but for today, I'm done.

I snapped a picture of the kids at the farm.  Can you tell we had soccer games in the morning?

Tomorrow, I'll start making applesauce and purple applesauce.  Luckily for me, Nathaniel has already cored and peeled a lot of apples using our handy apple corer/slicer/peeler.  That thing has really come in handy over the years.  

No comments:

Post a Comment