Friday, February 14, 2014

Two Trifles

I've been busy cooking off and on all day.  It's Valentine's Day, after all, and I wanted a special treat for everyone.  My chocolate trifle is delicious, and it's one of Nathaniel and Elijah's favorite all-time treats, but Malachi doesn't really like it, because he doesn't like the chocolate pudding or the cherry pie filling.  So I decided to make a trifle that he should love, as well.  I made a lemon pound cake, and then I made vanilla pudding.  Now, I've been making my own chocolate pudding for a couple of years now, and everyone (except Malachi) absolutely loves it, but I've never tried another flavor besides tapioca (one of my favorites - but the kids don't like it).  So today, I tried a vanilla recipe (from here: http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/healthy-treat-for-today-creamy-pudding).  Now, I was a little leary of using eggs in my pudding.  My chocolate recipe doesn't include eggs, but my tapioca one does, and I've never ended up with scrambled eggs, but I was a bit nervous nonetheless.  Since we've still got eggs filling our fridge (thank you, chickens!) it is silly to avoid a recipe that calls for them.  I'm so glad I finally tried one.  I should have cooked it about a minute longer, to get it a bit firmer, but the taste was excellent.
I made the trifle in the typical way, by layering cake, pudding, pie filling, and whipped cream.  For one, I used the lemon pound cake, vanilla pudding, blueberry pie filling, and whipped cream.
  For the other, I used chocolate cake and pudding, cherry pie filling, and whipped cream.
Both were delicious.  Four of us loved them.  Unfortunately, Malachi really was unhappy that I chose to make blueberry pie filling and didn't really give it a good try.  The one he tried and liked (about 6 months ago) used strawberry, but he always prefers blueberries, so I was trying to make him happy.  He didn't handle the change as I'd hoped.  
Maybe he'll try it tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I wish I'd been at your house this Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete