Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Lemon Icing


We had to make cupcakes for Malachi's boy scout banquet, and he requested lemon.  We made the lemon cake yesterday, which is good but only a subtle lemon flavor.  Today, Lydia and I made lemon icing, which I made up on the fly and absolutely loved.  I don't like most icings, but this was really so good.  This recipe frosted 18 cupcakes.  It's easy, too:

6 T room temp butter
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp lemon extract
lemon zest, optional
1T milk
juice of 1 lemon, added slowly

Actually, I think next time I would just replace the milk with all lemon juice.  This has a very lemony flavor, and I added the zest so people could guess the flavor by looking at it, and not think it was vanilla or regular white icing.  I think I'll try this recipe with orange sometime, since I also have orange extract.  I bought the extracts a long time ago, when the bulk store went out of business, and I've decided that they were a good buy.  They are usually pretty expensive, but a tiny bit goes a long way.  I've also wondered if I could just make more myself, when I run out...

Also, I made Malachi his chicken apron:


 
He learned how to fry eggs by himself, and has eagerly cooked eggs three times now.  So I rewarded him with the apron, and he promptly decided not to help make the cupcakes.  Oh, well.  At least he's willing to cook sometimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment