Sunday, January 10, 2016

Book Review - A Worthy Heart by Susan Anne Mason



I've really enjoyed my latest book, A Worthy Heart by Susan Anne Mason.  This is the first book I've read by this author, and although it is the second in a series, I felt that it was a completely stand-alone novel, and although I'm sure it would have been nice to read the first one, it wasn't necessary to enjoy this story.  The book is set in New York in 1914, when Maggie Montgomery comes from Ireland with one brother to visit another brother's family.  There are lots of characters to like in this story, but I am especially fond of Adam O'Leary and Maggie.  They are the main characters, and they are well-written, with realistic desires and flaws.  Adam's past landed him in prison for three years, and now he is trying to prove himself a changed man.  Maggie sees his worth from the start, but many others do not.  The many characters have complex pasts and interactions, and I enjoyed that.  Another romance, between Maggie's brother Gabe and heiress Aurora Hastings, blooms during the book, and although I did like both characters, I felt sometimes that their story was a bit of a distraction from the main storyline.   I was glad that the author didn't try to write phonetically the characters' Irish brogue, as that can be hard to read, but I was glad that she often acknowledged that they had an accent, or "Irish lilt" as it is put in the book.  There were also many details that firmly placed the story in its time frame of 1914, which I always appreciate.  There was plenty of drama and an unsavory character from Maggie's past, so the story had plenty to keep the reader interested.

I recommend this historical romance.  Although I received a copy from the publisher Bethany House for the purpose of writing a review, all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment