Monday, February 29, 2016

Book Review - A Sweet Misfortune by Maggie Brendan

A Sweet Misfortune: A Novel (Virtues and Vices of the Old West)
A Sweet Misfortune is a Western historical romance.  Main character Rachel is dancing in a saloon when cattle baron John literally drags her away and deposits her in his ranch house with his charming grandmother, Estelle.  This story deals with pride, forgiveness, faith and family.  Brendan evokes the romantic lore of the Old West consistently throughout this book.  Fans of western literature will enjoy finding saloons, cowboys, gold mining, and challenging weather included in the tale.  Rachel is spunky and likable, but I felt like her character was missing some depth.  John's transformation from relying solely on himself and his wealth to being outrageously generous was a bit fanciful.  I liked the change, of course, but everything seemed to tie up a bit too neatly.  I loved the grandmother, Estelle, and her place in the story was very welcome.  I also found secondary character Molly intriguing, but her role is a small one.  Overall, I found this a pleasant but predictable read.

I received this book from the publisher, Revell, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment