Friday, April 22, 2016

Book Review - The Magnolia Duchess by Beth White


I really enjoy reading historical fiction, but I wasn't thrilled with this book.  I could tell that the author put effort into learning about the time frame and setting, but it wasn't an easy read.  I could easily put this book down.  This is the third in a series, and I had not read the previous two, so maybe it would have been easier to get into had I read the previous stories, but there were many different characters with diverse backgrounds all vying for attention in this story.  It seemed that the author enjoyed the history so much that she tried to squeeze it all into one book, and trying to sort out the family's relations was a bit of a stretch.  Main character Fiona was friendly and impulsive, but some of her actions seemed a bit too far-fetched.  There are many twists in this story, but not all of them make the plot advance as well as I'd like.  While the book sets the stage for a period piece well, it seemed to strain between trying to be a more serious historical drama and a light romance at the same time.

I received this book from the publisher, Revell, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment