Monday, June 20, 2016

Book Review - More Than Rivals by Ken Abraham

 More Than Rivals by Ken Abraham is the story of two boys, Eddie Sherlin and Bob Ligon, who played basketball secretly together in a segregated Tennessee town in the 1960s.  This story is a good one, particularly when describing how the two races were separated within one small town.  I grew up in a small Indiana town that had integrated before my mom went to elementary school, so the racially charged atmosphere in Gallatin, Tennessee was far from my own experiences.  I felt that the author did a good job of letting the reader get to know Eddie's character, and Bob's mom Anna, very well, but I did feel that Bob himself was not as fully portrayed as he could have been.  The story starts when the boys are eleven years old and culminates at the big game of their senior year in high school.  Both boys' Christian faith and the faith of many others in the town is woven into the story.  The final game is told very well, with plenty of tension, and I am happy that I didn't know the outcome before reading.  I would have loved to know more about what happened to both Eddie and Bob afterwards.

I received this book from the publisher, Revell, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment