Sunday, June 25, 2017

Book Review - Freedom's Price by Christine Johnson



While I was waiting up for my husband to get home from China, I read Freedom's Price by Christine Johnson.  I was glad that I was able to finish it in one (long) day, since, it was an intriguing historical fiction.  Set in the 1850s in England, Key West, and Louisiana, this story gives readers a good idea of differences in how people lived in that time according to class, race, and location.  The story is told in third person, but mainly through the eyes of Catherine, an English woman who leaves home and heads toward Louisiana to be with family she's never met, and Tom, a sailor who works on ship wrecks off the coast of Key West.  Their verbal sparring is enjoyable, and both characters are well-drawn.  This story is the third in a series, but it is a stand-alone novel.  Readers of the first two books will get a glimpse of some of the main characters from those, but this novel is about Catherine and Tom.  Both characters grow throughout the story, and they are forced to make choices between what they had planned, and what is just.  Both of them find that mysteries from their past involve the same devilish man.  Readers realize right away that this is a romance, but it also has an intriguing and suspenseful plot.  Overall, it is a good read, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction.

I received this book from the publisher, Revell, in exchange for my review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment